Saturday, September 1, 2012

Add Project Management to the Mix

By Brenda Christie

It's a bit of an exaggeration to say that everything I learned about project management I learned while working on IBM mainframes.

It is true that on projects I led, because of my use of SDLC methodology (learned that through System Analysis training, as well), there was a clearly defined structure and path to creating and delivering systems.  And I would have to say that due to use of the SDLC, my projects fell within that 20% success rate.  Have to give my high energy levels and tenacity some credit as well.  Plus, I'm fun to work with!

But to be clear, what I learned thru studying project management supplemented what I already knew.  For example, I learned a name for my approach to application development -- Waterfall Methodology.  I found in Project Management principles and tools similar to what I learned while studying Economics, another topic I love.  At heart, I am an analyst.  So when Root Cause Analysis came to my attention, I was in my glory.

Root Cause Analysis comes under the topic of Lessons Learned in project management-speak.  I'll talk more about that later, as well.  For now, I was asked to teach the Engineers RCA while working in my current job, and to implement a means of capturing the elements and components of RCA thru the CMMS I manage.

Imagine that, you can teach an old dog new tricks!

More on Root Cause Analysis, project management and "fun to work with" later..

No comments:

Post a Comment